Most of us have a dedicated skincare routine to keep our face and body smooth, clear, and hydrated. Although the skin on the scalp is like an extension of the skin on the face, for most of us, a scalp care routine often goes overlooked.
The scalp gets cleansed and moisturized with your hair shampoo and conditioner on wash days and that’s about it. We put it through the regular abuse of styling, chemical treatments, and our environment with barely a second thought.
But, you simply can’t have healthy hair without a healthy scalp, so your scalp certainly deserves a little TLC. Read on to find out exactly what a scalp treatment is, what it does, and how to do one at home.
What is a Scalp Treatment?
A scalp treatment is a product that is specifically formulated to detoxify the scalp, add moisture, and nourish scalp health, resulting in healthier-looking and shinier hair. They typically contain active ingredients like exfoliators, nutrients, and hydrators to balance oil production and promote a balanced scalp microbiome.
Many scalp treatments are designed to be applied to a dry scalp and left on, which allows the active ingredients to absorb thoroughly into the skin. The ideal time to apply a scalp treatment is before bed, allowing it to work its magic while you sleep.
How Do You Know If You Need a Scalp Treatment?
Almost everyone can benefit from a regular scalp treatment, but if you’re noticing scalp irritation, increased hair loss, or excessive oiliness or dryness, it’s time to incorporate a scalp treatment into your routine.
That being said, there’s no reason to wait until you notice an issue to start using a scalp treatment regularly. Regular scalp treatments are an effective way to promote healthy hair and maintain scalp health as the seasons and other factors change throughout the year.
What Does a Scalp Treatment Do?
Incorporating a scalp treatment into your routine provides a relaxing self-care experience, but the benefits go much further than that. Let’s explore exactly what a scalp treatment can do to promote scalp health and healthy hair growth.
1. Scalp Treatments Stimulate Blood Flow
Incorporating a scalp massage into your scalp treatment routine is a great way to stimulate blood flow to the scalp. This allows oxygen and important nutrients to reach your hair follicles more efficiently, promoting scalp health and encouraging healthy hair growth.
2. Scalp Treatments Unclog the Hair Follicles
Just like the pores on your face and body, hair follicles in the scalp can become clogged with dirt, oil, dead skin cells, and product residue. Scalp treatments are ideal for unclogging the hair follicles and balancing sebum production.
Essentially, sebum, the oil that’s naturally secreted by the sebaceous glands in your pores and hair follicles, combines with dirt and residue, clogging the hair follicles. This can lead to various scalp issues, including a dry, irritated, itchy scalp, and less than optimal hair growth.
Scalp treatments are formulated with ingredients that provide gentle exfoliation to remove any buildup, while also conditioning to promote optimal oil production.
3. Scalp Treatments Reduce Dandruff
Dandruff is often the result of too much or too little sebum production in the hair follicles. When the scalp isn’t producing enough oil, you will likely notice dryness and flakiness. On the other hand, an oily scalp often leads to inflammation and irritation, along with redness and flakes.
Scalp treatments can help remove buildup from the scalp. They also moisturize and hydrate the scalp. This helps to balance oil production and reduce or even eliminate dandruff over time.
4. Scalp Treatments May Reduce Thinning and Hair Loss
Unclogging the hair follicles and balancing oil production can reduce hair loss by improving scalp health. Over time, regular scalp treatments can promote thicker, healthier hair and healthier hair growth.
Best Ingredients for Treating the Scalp
The best scalp treatments are formulated with natural ingredients to nourish the health of your scalp, like our Honey-Infused Scalp Treatment. It’s formulated with 99% natural ingredients, including five actives that balance the scalp’s microbiome to target itchiness, oiliness, irritation, and more.
Here is an overview of the powerful natural key ingredients in Gisou’s Honey Infused Scalp Treatment:
- Mirsalehi Honey: Mirsalehi Honey is rich in vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and antioxidants that nourish the scalp and prevent moisture loss. Honey also promotes cellular regeneration to strengthen the hair follicles. Using honey on the scalp also offers gentle exfoliation and antibacterial and anti-inflammatory benefits to unclog the pores.
Honey also offers several benefits for your hair, too. Its moisturizing properties are ideal for softening and smoothing dry hair, adding shine, and providing a boost of vital nutrients.
- Mirsalehi Bee Garden Oil Blend: Gisou’s proprietary oil blend is rich in antioxidants and omega fatty acids to nourish and deeply moisturize the scalp.
- Prebiotic Complex: Prebiotics are beneficial for balancing the scalp’s microbiome, promoting a healthy moisture balance, and providing lasting hydration.
- Botanical Complex: Our botanical complex includes anti-inflammatory botanicals like black currant seed oil, sunflower oil, and balloon vine extract. These natural oils and botanicals are rich in bioactive compounds, phytosterols, and omega fatty acids to protect and replenish the scalp’s skin barrier.
- Ectoine: Ectoine is a natural anti-irritant with powerful properties that hydrate, balance, and repair the scalp microbiome. It not only reduces dryness and irritation but also prevents future cell damage in the skin.
- Organic Rice Protein: Our scalp treatment contains a unique, four-peptide complex that has been extracted from organic rice protein. It helps to soothe an irritated scalp and reduce redness, itching, and flaking.
- Celery Seed Extract: Celery seed extract is an all-natural active ingredient that comforts the skin and targets flaking, itching, and irritation.
How to Do a Scalp Treatment at Home
To do a scalp treatment at home, apply our Honey Infused Scalp Treatment to your dry scalp at night. Shake well, then squeeze directly onto the scalp in small sections, working from the hairline to the crown.
Massage the treatment gently into your scalp for five minutes to ensure even distribution and optimal absorption. Allow the treatment to remain on your scalp overnight.
There’s no need to rinse in the morning unless you notice a bit of oiliness or residue. Rinsing will not impact performance since the active ingredients will have worked their magic overnight.
How Often Should You Do a Scalp Treatment?
If you’re noticing scalp irritation, dryness, excessive oiliness, or other signs of poor scalp health, use our scalp treatment twice a week until your scalp issues subside. To maintain scalp health use the treatment two to four times per month.
You can’t have healthy hair without a healthy scalp, so your scalp deserves just as much care and attention as the skin on your body and face.
Our Honey Infused Scalp Treatment offers the perfect way to give your scalp the extra TLC it craves. Infused with 99% natural ingredients, including five actives, this intensive formula is ideal for revitalizing the scalp to help you achieve your shiniest, healthiest hair ever.